ITEC Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy
Our Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy is designed to advance Level 3 Sports Massage practitioners to our exceptionally high standards in the delivery of Injury Assessment and Sports Massage Techniques.
Level 4 further develops your understanding of fascial imbalances within the body, giving you specialised techniques of stretching tight muscle groups (Muscle Energy Techniques & Soft Tissue release) and special tests to identify joint and fascial defects. Level 4 will take your postural assessment techniques to the next level, allowing you to understand postural imbalances and develop your skills to correct these.
If you are new to the industry, take a look at our Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage.
Unit 456: Conducting Subjective and Objective Assessment
- Conduct Subjective and Objective Assessments, covering all joints of the body.
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the major joints of the body.
- Identify bony structures associated with the major joints.
- Develop how to devise a treatment plan based on assessment of client and how to record and log findings.
- Learn Range of Motion testing. (ROM) and Special Tests as used by physiotherapists and osteopaths.
- Develop and grow your palpation skills.
- Develop your ability to deal with and prevent soft tissue injuries.
Unit 458: Provide Sports Massage Techniques to Prevent and Manage Injury
- Understand the principles of soft tissue techniques used in sports massage.
- Explain the protocols to follow for each soft tissue technique ; Soft tissue release; Connective tissue massage; Corrective frictions (transverse)
- Learn Muscle Energy Techniques (MET)
- Critically evaluate the effects of each soft tissue technique
Assignment: Unit 457
Treatment Modalities to Support Soft Tissue Repair
Research and critically evaluate a variety of modalities to support soft tissue repair.
- Treatment options to support soft tissue repair during the acute, sub-acute and chronic stages of injury including aims and protocols
- The use of cryotherapy during soft tissue repair, including physiological and neurological effects of ice, methods of application, contraindications, adverse reactions to cryotherapy and actions to be taken in the event of an adverse reaction.
- The use of heat treatments during soft tissue repair, including physiological and neurological effects of using heat, methods of application, contraindications, adverse reactions to heat treatments and actions to be taken in the event of an adverse reaction
Tutor: Chris Phillips
15 Case Studies (5 people x 3 times)
Plus 20 treatments logged in consultation forms
1 x assignment (Unit 457) - 2500 word minimum essays
Practical Exam (usually 2-4 months after the course contact days)
You will be required to sit a “mock” practical exam, usually 2-3 weeks before the “real” practical exam. This is to allow you a practice run, and for your tutor to give you feedback on areas to work on.
Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Required
If you do not already hold a Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage, you will need to complete this prior to joining the Level 4 course. You can enrol onto the both the Level 3 and Level 4 course, or start with the Level 3, and join the Level 4 course at a later date. Find out more information about the ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage here
Please note: You will return after the course contact days to take your exams- from starting the course to qualifying, we expect a time scale of about 4 months. This will allow you time to practice your hand skills and complete your Case Studies and Assignment work.
Below are options to attend on Monday and Tuesdays throughout 1-2 months.
December: 4th , 5th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 19th
January 2018: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th
March: 26th, 27th
April: 9th, 10th, 16th, 17th, 23rd,24th, 30th
Below are options to attend on Thursday and Friday throughout 1-2 months.
February: 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th (1 weekend attendance)
March: 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th
Below are dates for the Level 4 Fast Track courses.
This course requires attendance Monday – Friday for two consecutive weeks, 9.30am-4pm
14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th May
Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy (10 classroom contact days)
(Includes polo shirt, tuition fees, exam fees, ITEC registration)
For further enquiries please contact us:
How do I pay for my course?
A 25% deposit is payable immediately to secure your place on receipt of your invoice, with the remaining balance due at least 4 weeks prior to the start of your course.
Payment can be made via bank transfer or cheque. If you would like to pay via Credit Card, there will be a 2.5% charge added to the amount due. Please let us know upon receiving your invoice if you would like to pay by card, and we will send through a request for payment.
In certain circumstances, we can offer an instalment plan to help spread to course cost. Fees apply. Please get in contact if this is something you would like to discuss.
Recommended Books for Study:
SHARE IDEAS AND KNOWLEDGE
THURSDAY EVENINGS FROM 6PM-9PM
If you are interested in looking at a career in this industry, planning to do a course with us or just wishing to look around, our free Thursday Evenings could be the place to start.