Unit iUSP160: Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage
(to be studied via e-learning or additional class days prior/alonside the course)
- Organisation of the body including cells
- Nervous System
- Endocrine System
- Respiratory System
- Lymphatic System
- Digestive System
- Urinary system
- Effects of Massage on body systems
- Muscle contraction terminology
Unit iUSP178: Sports Massage Treatments
Learners will gain the knowledge, theory and skills to understand and apply:
- The history, origins and development of sports massage
- Sports massage techniques and how to apply them as sports massage treatments
- Equipment and its adaptation/modification in relation to different environments and events.
- Identifying contra-indications and contra-actions before, during and after massage treatment
- Assessing and screening clients for sports massage treatments
- Consultation and client assessment recording methods
- Devising a suitable massage strategy for each client and their specific needs/requirements and carry out an effective and safe treatment.
- Develop and ensure good posture whilst working and making effective use of massage equipment, including massage couch, oils and massage mediums.
- Working to good professional standards of practice, ensuring that hygiene and sterilisation is observed at all times.
- Monitoring client communication and feedback.
- Evaluating the outcomes and effectiveness of the massage strategy and treatment in every case.
- Post massage analysis and aftercare advice and guidance.
Techniques will include :
- Neuro-Muscular Technique (NMT)
- Pre/Post/Inter-Event Massage
- Other specific sports massage techniques (Connective Tissue Massage (CTM), Cross fibre friction, Compressions etc)
- Trigger Point Therapy
Assignment 1: Unit iUSP174 Principles of Health and Fitness
Students will be able to understand the following:
- The benefits of an active healthy lifestyle
- The effects of exercise on the body
- The components of fitness
- The principles of training
- Nutrition - the role of micro/macro nutrients, hydration and healthy eating and how this relates to growth, repair and injury.
This unit will be set as a combination of class handouts and home assignment work.
Assignment 2: Unit iUSP150 Professional Practice in Sports Massage
- Sports Massage Legislation
- Scope of practice in the sports massage industry, including awareness and understanding of caution, contra-indications, referrals and interface with other professionals and therapists.
- Professional Standards and regulations, pertinent to the industry
- Legal obligations, legislation and client record keeping
This unit will be set as a combination of classroom handouts and home assignment work
Assignment 3: Unit iUSP181 Understand the Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
Soft tissue refers to the tissues that connect, support, or surround other structures and organs of the body, other than bone. This includes tendons, ligaments and muscle fascia, amongst other tissue. Learners will therefore understand:
- Soft Tissue Dysfunction and the process of repair of this tissue, including causes and types of injury and damage.
- The difference between Soft Tissue Injury and Dysfunction.
This unit will be set as a combination of classroom lectures and home assignment work
Unit UIP4: Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for complementary therapies and sports massage
The aim of this unit is to develop the learner’s knowledge and understanding of how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and how to work safely. Learners will develop knowledge on the importance of social responsibility, the causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19, and the methods used to control transmission, such as correct hand hygiene and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). They will also gain an understanding of the safe working practices required to protect themselves and their clients.
On completion of this unit, learners will:
- LO1 Understand the causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19
- LO2 Understand social responsibility for the complementary therapy and sports massage sectors in relation to COVID-19
- LO3 Understand the controls necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- LO4 Understand the importance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Hand Hygiene and Personal Hygiene in the prevention of COVID-19
- LO5 Understand potential hazards and risks and the workplace procedures necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the complementary therapy/sports massage environment
- LO6 Understand decontamination and waste management processes relevant to complementary therapies and sports massage