Unit iUSP151: Conducting Subjective and Objective Assessment
- Conduct Subjective and Objective Assessments, covering all joints of the body.
- Understand the anatomy and physiology of the major joints of the body.
- Identify bony structures associated with the major joints.
- Develop how to devise a treatment plan based on assessment of client and how to record and log findings.
- Learn Range of Motion testing. (ROM) and Special Tests as used by physiotherapists and osteopaths.
- Develop and grow your palpation skills.
- Develop your ability to deal with and prevent soft tissue injuries.
Assignment: Unit iUSP193 Treatment Modalities to Support Soft Tissue Repair
Research and critically evaluate a variety of modalities to support soft tissue repair.
- Treatment options to support soft tissue repair during the acute, sub-acute and chronic stages of injury including aims and protocols
- The use of cryotherapy during soft tissue repair, including physiological and neurological effects of ice, methods of application, contraindications, adverse reactions to cryotherapy and actions to be taken in the event of an adverse reaction.
- The use of heat treatments during soft tissue repair, including physiological and neurological effects of using heat, methods of application, contraindications, adverse reactions to heat treatments and actions to be taken in the event of an adverse reaction
Unit iUSP157: Provide Sports Massage Techniques to Prevent and Manage Injury
- Understand the principles of soft tissue techniques used in sports massage.
- Explain the protocols to follow for each soft tissue technique ; Soft tissue release; Connective tissue massage; Corrective frictions (transverse)
- Learn Muscle Energy Techniques (MET)
- Critically evaluate the effects of each soft tissue technique
Unit UIP4: Infection Prevention (COVID-19) for complementary therapies and sports massage
The aim of this unit is to develop the learner’s knowledge and understanding of how to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and how to work safely. Learners will develop knowledge on the importance of social responsibility, the causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19, and the methods used to control transmission, such as correct hand hygiene and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). They will also gain an understanding of the safe working practices required to protect themselves and their clients.
On completion of this unit, learners will:
- LO1 Understand the causes, transmission and effects of COVID-19
- LO2 Understand social responsibility for the complementary therapy and sports massage sectors in relation to COVID-19
- LO3 Understand the controls necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- LO4 Understand the importance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), Hand Hygiene and Personal Hygiene in the prevention of COVID-19
- LO5 Understand potential hazards and risks and the workplace procedures necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in the complementary therapy/sports massage environment
- LO6 Understand decontamination and waste management processes relevant to complementary therapies and sports massage