ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
Our Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy is designed to train individuals to our exceptionally high standards in the delivery of Injury Assessment and Sports Massage Techniques.
Level 3 Overview:
The foundation of the Level 3 is your understanding of how the body functions and heals itself. You will learn your Anatomy & Physiology (Unit 451) prior to the class contact days (via e-learning or classroom learning) about the body cells, skin, skeletal, muscular, vascular, lymphatic, nervous, endocrine, digestive, respiratory and urinary systems.
When you start class attendance you will learn postural assessment, range of movement tests and developing your basic massage hand skills as well as myofascial release techniques/deep friction. You will develop a foundation in understanding the core benefits of sports massage and how the body heals itself from injury.
Unit 451: Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Massage
(to be completed via e-learning prior to contact days if you do not yet hold a Level 3 A+P qualification)
Full syllabus details can be viewed here
- Organisation of the body including cells
- Joints (studied in class)
- Nervous System
- Endocrine System
- Respiratory System
- Lymphatic System
- Digestive System
- Urinary system
- Effects of Massage on body systems
- Muscle contraction terminology (studied in class)
Sports Massage Treatments
Learners will gain the knowledge, theory and skills to understand and apply:
- The history, origins and development of sports massage
- Sports massage techniques and how to apply them as sports massage treatments
- Equipment and its adaptation/modification in relation to different environments and events.
- Identifying contra-indications and contra-actions before, during and after massage treatment
- Assessing and screening clients for sports massage treatments
- Consultation and client assessment recording methods
- Devising a suitable massage strategy for each client and their specific needs/requirements and carry out an effective and safe treatment.
- Develop and ensure good posture whilst working and making effective use of massage equipment, including massage couch, oils and massage mediums.
- Working to good professional standards of practice, ensuring that hygiene and sterilisation is observed at all times.
- Monitoring client communication and feedback.
- Evaluating the outcomes and effectiveness of the massage strategy and treatment in every case.
- Post massage analysis and aftercare advice and guidance.
Techniques will include :
- Neuro-Muscular Technique (NMT)
- Pre/Post/Inter-Event Massage
- Other specific sports massage techniques (CTM, Cross fibre friction, pressure, etc)
Assignment 1: Unit 452
Principles of Health and Fitness
Students will be able to understand the following:
- The benefits of an active healthy lifestyle
- The effects of exercise on the body
- The components of fitness
- The principles of training
- Nutrition - the role of micro/macro nutrients, hydration and healthy eating and how this relates to growth, repair and injury.
This unit will be set as a combination of class handouts and home assignment work.
Assignment 2: Unit 453
Professional Practice in Sports Massage
- Sports Massage Legislation
- Scope of practice in the sports massage industry, including awareness and understanding of caution, contra-indications, referrals and interface with other professionals and therapists.
- Professional Standards and regulations, pertinent to the industry
- Legal obligations, legislation and client record keeping
This unit will be set as a combination of classroom handouts and home assignment work
Assignment 3: Unit 454
Understand the Principles of Soft Tissue Dysfunction
Soft tissue refers to the tissues that connect, support, or surround other structures and organs of the body, other than bone. This includes tendons, ligaments and muscle fascia, amongst other tissue. Learners will therefore understand:
- Soft Tissue Dysfunction and the process of repair of this tissue, including causes and types of injury and damage.
The difference between Soft Tissue Injury and Dysfunction.
This unit will be set as a combination of classroom lectures and home assignment work
9 Case Studies (Treatment Evidences of 3 people x 3 times)
Plus 20 treatments logged in consultation forms
3 x assignments (Unit 452, 453 & 454) - 2500 word minimum
A&P for Sports Massage - 25 question multiple choice paper (usually 1-4 months after the course contact days)
Practical Exam (usually 1-4 months after the course contact days)
You will be required to sit a “mock” practical exam, usually 2-3 weeks before the “real” practical exam. This is to allow you a practice run, and for your tutor to give you feedback on areas to work on.
No Previous Experience Required
If you already hold a Diploma in Anatomy and Physiology, you may not need to enrol onto the Anatomy & Physiology part of this course. See Option 2 for course cost. All students will however still sit the A&P exam as this is specific to Sports Massage; we will advise you on the content of the A&P Theory exam so you can self study/revise in preparation- the exam will not be taken until after the course contact days.
Please note: You will return after the course contact days to take your exams- from starting the course to qualifying, we expect a time scale of about 4 months. This will allow you time to practice your hand skills and complete your Case Studies and Assignment work.
Below are options to attend on Monday/Tuesdays throughout 1-2 months.
February: 5th, 6th, 19th, 20th
March: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
This course can follow on to Level 4 Mon/Tues in March 2018 or Fast Track in May (see Level 4 Course dates here)
Below are dates for the Level 3 Fast Track courses.
This course requires attendance of 8 days over two consecutive weeks, 9.30am-4pm
Mon-Thurs for 2 weeks
15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th January 2018
Thurs-Sun for 2 weeks
3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th May 2018
Below are options to attend on Thurs/Fri throughout 1-2 months.
October: 26th, 27th
November: 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th (1 weekend attendance)
This course can follow on to Level 4 Fast Track in 2018 or Mon/Tues in December (see Level 4 Course dates here)
April: 5th, 6th, 12th, 13th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd
This course can follow on to Level 4 Fast Track in 2018 (see Level 4 Course dates here)
Option 1: Level 3, Level 4 and A&P e-learning- Bundle discount
Receive a 10% discount when you book onto L3, L4 and A&P e-learning!
Included: A&P e-learning package, Level 3 Sports Massage Course (8 classroom contact days), Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage (10 classroom contact days), polo shirt, all tuition fees, exam fees, ITEC registration
Discount T&C's: A 25% deposit is due on enrolment to release your e-learning login, and the remaining balance for both Level 3 & 4 must be made 4 weeks before the start of the Level 3 course.
Option 2: Level 3 + A&P e-learn
Included: Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (A+P via e-learning & 8 classroom contact days), polo shirt, tuition fees, exam fees, ITEC registration
Already have a&p?
Option 3: Level 3 Only
Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (8 classroom contact days), polo shirt, tuition fees, exam fees, ITEC registration)
Please get in contact with us to confirm your A&P qualification is appropriate before enroling.
Option 4: Level 3 & Level 4
Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy (8 classroom contact days), Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage (10 classroom contact days), polo shirt, tuition fees, exam fees, ITEC registration
Please get in contact with us to confirm your A&P qualification isappropriate before enroling.
How do I pay?
A 25% deposit is payable immediately to secure your place on receipt of your invoice, with the remaining balance due at least 4 weeks prior to the start of your course.
Payment can be made via bank transfer or cheque. If you would like to pay via Credit Card, there will be a 2.5% charge added to the amount due. Please let us know upon receiving your invoice if you would like to pay by card, and we will send through a request for payment.
In certain circumstances, we can offer an instalment plan to help spread to course cost. Fees apply. Please get in contact if this is something you would like to discuss.
Required Books for Study: Level 3
SHARE IDEAS AND KNOWLEDGE
THURSDAY EVENINGS FROM 6PM-9PM
If you are interested in looking at a career in this industry, planning to do a course with us or just wishing to look around, our free Thursday Evenings could be the place to start.